October 28, 2007

A Panda in Paris

Sometimes it goes like this...

Diane: So Benoit, I'm thinking of getting a dog after the New Year. A little one. A pooch I can put in my purse and take with me everywhere. Someone to call a companion.

Benoit: You, um, hmmm?Huh?

Diane: (lauhging) You know! A dog? a puppy? Iimitates standard dog paws in front of bosom begging for food) a little arf arf? A puppy...?

Benoit: Dee-ahnne(my name in francais) uh, what you saying? (he is laughing at my idiot-ness)

Diane: OK, um, I want to get a dog. a DOG.!A dog? A puppy! (frustrated now)

Benoit: Oooooh! uuuh, you are ging to get a PANDA?

Diane: (hysterical) Yes.I'm getting a Panda. What do you think?

Benoit: oooh Deeahhne!So americane...
------------------------------------------------------
So After this exchange happened, I'm proud to report that a new word for several meanings has been developed. Sort of like "Right" or "Cool." When you are ever in a situation with someone and you have no idea what they saying to you, just say "Panda?"
The beautiful part of this new addition to english slang is that I think it would work even better between two people that actually do speak the same language, but are just not hearing each other.

Friend 1: Do you want another drink?
Friend 2: Huh?
Friend 1: Do you want ANOTHER DRINK?
Friend2: I'm sorry its so loud in here...What?
Friend 1: PANDA???(motioning glass to mouth)
Friend 2: Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks.

Try it. It's cool.

No comments: