October 22, 2007

I'm Weak at a Glance

I mean, Week at a Glance!
(*Denotes to check Glossary of Terms for definition)

Wednesday 9:15am:
Arrive to office in Levallois and am greeted downstairs by one of the guys on my *Team. He informs me that my new French teacher is here and, "Wow, is she Hot!" I thought this a curious and strange coincidence that she actually was, since I'd had this convo with the boys the week prior. They were very excited to see who my teacher would be as I think this is a sort of fantasy for French men. Anyway, I make my way upstairs and through reception only to note one man, wait no, one woman, wait, a woman with a mustache, who stops me in my tracks as I walk straight past doing a double-triple take on the character before me. I stop and say hello and she utters something to me in French. She follows me in and then to the conference room we were going to use for the next 3 hours.

The French Nazi (FN), also called Celine, proceeds to utter not one word of Anglais to me for the entire 3 hours! Turns out she does not speak English at all actually.
We get by like this:
* FN says: "tu travaille in Levallois?"
I shake my head like I have no idea what she is asking me. FN mimes typing on a keyboard, gestures at my office behind her and pretends to drink a coffee etc...
I say "oh work!" to myself then I say back to her what she just said to me, but substituting "je" for "tu" as in "Je travaille et Lavallois."
And we go on like this for 3 solid hours. Yes I'm going to learn quick and yes I am going to be an alcoholic by the time I learn French. Our lesson ended at 12:30pm and never before have I needed a cigg and a cocktail so badly during office hours.

Thursday AM:
The Metro workers go on strike! WooHoo! What this means my friends is that because yours truly works outside of Paris in Levallois Perret, there is no feasible way for me to get to work. Too far to walk, dont own a bike or a car and apparently finding a taxi would be out of the question. So I play the incompetent card and this American "works from home" in *Maddy. Plenty of time to download songs to my itouch and conclude Research findings.

Have I mentioned how much I love Paris?

Friday pm:
The strike is only half over so in honour of my hard working, blue collar citizens, I decide today is the day I try to find Mexican food in Paris. I was determined to have Mexican food, not for a selfish craving but to represent those Union workers in America. Thanks to a colleague I was sent directly to an upscale mexican place in Saint Germain- do not stop, do not collect $200, just get your ass to Mexican. Friday night can be summed up by paying hommage to "Deadly Margaritas" and again the poor decision to go to Bar Hemingway after I'm hammered. What is it about me wanting to go to the Ritz Carlton after putting on my drinking cap? Bar Hammeredway?

Saturday AM: Sleep


Saturday PM-Sunday PM:
This is what we'd call a date with destiny. I decided to head over to Oberkampf, (my potential new neighborhood beginning Nov 1). I wanted to check the place out and see if I felt a fit. I did. I absolutely love it! So as I begin my foray into the Weekend Research edition, I walk aimlessly up and down the streets. Noting all the shops, cafes, bars and restos. I finally land in the quintessential spot-- A big screen TV so I could watch the loathful Final World Cup Rugby game, 2 cute bartenders, a few available tables, and 1 prime seat left at the silver bar we'll call *Home. Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement to make...Fernet has a new competitor...
It's herbal, it's clear, and I forget the name, but holy mother, its delicious. If I find my way back home, I'll be sure to let you all you know. Anyhoo, drinks turned into more drinks which ultimately turned into complete nonsense and finally I found my way back to Maddy sometime on Sunday afternoon. Had high hopes for a nice lunch in the sun, but ended up buying a baquette and some cheese and a bottle of wine and curled up with myself in my bosch and laquered apartment.
Will get back to you with details as it's only Monday and usually it takes a few days for the "pieces of me" (as Ashley Simpson would say) to unfold.
Tre Ducca!

No comments: