December 2, 2007

I QWIT

AZERTY. QWERTY. Nothing is easy around here.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with AZERTY and QWERTY, these are two examples of the names given to the keyboards that accompany the different languages of the world. Most of the civilized, and uncivilized population as well, uses QWERTY. It is the standard default keyboard, much like English is the standard default language of the world.
The 6 keys are found on the top row from left to right of the keyboard.
AZERTY is the French variaation. And there are a few others for Chinese, German etc...

The major difference to contend with here is that the Q and A are switched. The other is that M is moved to the second row. But these changes are very manageable and not that big of a deal.
The real issue here is the punctuation factor.

For example, The [.] is located in 2 different places, but only one of them is the real period, and you have to press shift to get to it. You have to press shift to get to all the numbers. You have to press alt+ctrl to get to the 3rd layer of punctuation that lies on the number keys. This layer includes punctuation such as the apostrophe, quote marks and the various versions of the accented [a] that the French use in nearly every word.

So now while I work away in Levallois-Perret, I use the hunt and peck method via AZERTY for all forms of outgoing communication. At home, I use QWERTY.
I feel like I'm 4 years old again. Combined with my downward spiral of what used to be proper English, and now this infantile typing method, I'm pretty sure France has dumbed me down by extraordinary meeasures. It used to be difficult for me to remember what I had for breakast the day before. Now I can't even find a comma to break up my thoughts.
------------------------------
"Deeahnne, is not so difficult, you'll get it. It's just few letters," says Benoit.

"Oooh la la, Ben! You say everything is so simple because it's the way the French do it. Ce la vie, you say. But it is not always so easy."

"Easy?"

"Nevermind."
------------------------------
The first day of AZERTY use ended with me and a large headache, dreaming of a cocktail and excited to get home and onto my QWERTY so I could tell you all about this traumatic experience. I once considered myself a writer, to some degree at least. Now I am more of punctuation nazi whose mild OCD (obsessive compulsve disorder) makes it near impossible to move on to a new sentence knowing that I left a [:] to end a sentence simply because I didnt want to be bothered to use shift.

It's possible I Strike. Two can play at this game. The French take away my public transportation, I take back my right to QWERTY in the workplace. I mean, its bad enough the American dollar is in the toilet, but do you have to take away my keyboard too:

No comments: