December 14, 2007

Hot to Trot

Cold, Smold!

The cold has never been an issue for me. I am quite warm, if not hot, 90% of the time. Part of me thinks this is why people tend to gravitate toward me. Im a warm body to stand next to. And actually now that I think about it perhaps this is why the french tend to knock into me all the time on the street. What?
Those of you that have been to Paris know that even when there is plenty of room to avoid contact on the street, the french will walk directly into you. I still dont understand this. But over these last few months I have become one of them.

Lets talk Metro for a minute. See French Run. See French Sprint. See french bags flailing everywhere, old ladies kicked to the curb and french babies held tightly like little rugby balls, because the French, uh hem, we, have got a train to catch!

Seemingly, all this hurry nonsense is for good reason. I dont quite know how to describe the feeling you get when you make a perfect train connection. I think its comparable to winning a Pulitzer or a Nobel Peace Prize. Its fantastic! For example, I take 2 trains to get to work everyday. The 9 ligne and the 3 ligne. I now know the rate of pace I need to keep and how many people I need to physically hurdle in order to make my connection. The doors even open while the train is still in motion so if you are looking for a competitive advantage its there for the taking! None of this complete stop bullshit. Every second counts, and when it works it works; Its magic.The first time I conquered the feat of exact train connection I really felt like a Professional in Paris. (This was actually the second time I had this feeling as the first time was at a Bar in Republique, but thats another story all together.)

The most fascinating part of the Metro game though are the consequences under which we are playing. IF you do not make your train in Pulitzer Prize fashion, then guess what? Are you sitting down? You will be subjected to a 2 minute wait! Im not kidding! 2 whole minutes. And while the Paris Metro is remarkably prompt (when not on strike that is) its still arguably the best transit system in the world. I know the Brits will argue this point for their "test tube" but this is my french blog so phepht!
Anyway, 2 minutes is the high stakes wager here. And in the grand scheme of things, 2 minutes amounts to tying a shoelace, answering a short text or reaching into your purse to find a lighter.

I think what this boils down to are the differences of culture in dynamics and proxemics I see and feel everyday here. I mean I see people running all the time. No offense but the only people running for anything in the states, are generally the Asians trying to get across the street. And to take this point further, if I saw someone running in the Metro or on the street even, I would naturally assume that person stole something and they were running away from the scene of the crime or the cops. Because why else would you RUN?

Moreover, are you wearing sensible enough shoes that allow you to run? I'd hope not because here in france we like to dress classy! To Monoprix, the frommagerie, the boulangerie, you name it- chicks here wear good shoes. And good shoes they may be, but alas even in France you walk that walk on the cobblestone (if you dare) and you run that race in the Metro.
Ce la vie.

Ive digressed so many times in this entry that I forgot my point, but I think it had to do with cultural something or other. Oh! I know. Me being hot all the time. Perhaps I start a new entry for that one. This one needs to end here as Ive got a train to catch! au revoir mon cheries!!!

No comments: