January 2, 2008

Bonne Annee, Ne pas Fumer

Merde!
Welcome to January 2. The no smoking ban is officially in place- the streets are crowded with angry protestors, cafes are empty and merchants are striking all over town... its complete mayhem!

No this is not the case, but I wish it was. Its business as usal so far.

Not smoking indoors is actually the norm for me, but since living in Paris its been like a little gift from the devil to be able to light up inside. Anytime, anywhere you could puff away to your hearts desire. And believe it or not, I have found 2 things out with this now past entitlement: 1, I actually smoke less and 2, I have become more social due to the fact I dont need to leave my companions every 20 minutes or so for a fix.

But with this new year comes new meaningful resolutions. I hesitate to even write this because as we all know you can only be ready when you are ready, but please note January 26 2008 marks the circle on my calendar to officially quit smoking. Yes thats right folks, its there pen to paper er rather, hand to AZERTY(which is giving me a headache today, btw) but you heard it here first. And No im not quitting due to the ban. Im quitting because Im tired of hearing my doctor whine about it. She is like a broken record relentlessly filling me with facts such as "smoking is not good for you."So on my parents anniversary this year I will quit.

I will also learn French.

I will also start Exercising.

Believe it or not, its actually the last resolution here that I am most fearful. God I hate exercising. I remember a time, lets call it high school and the years prior, that I recall generally loving sports and being fit. Although for me, it was never about the fit part really. I was naturally thin and quite tall and had a metabolism of a bullet. Alas, now that Im 30 for the second year in a row, you really start to notice shit dont burn off the way it used to, know what Im sayin???

Now im not gonna go crazy about this, so No you wont see me at the gym (I will remain germ-free for the rest of my life, thank you! you know the diseases they pull out of places like that? Did you know that gym is derived from the word germ?) I will perhaps take some walks and even put on the running shoes I bought 4 years ago when I dated a guy who was athletic. They are in tip top condition- worn twice! I am even going to buy some sort of athletic gear outfit, although I am not sure what to do about this. Victoria Beckham says she doesnt go to the gym because she doesnt know what to wear. Precisely my point!! What does one wear to perform even a non-gym workout? And should I be calling it a performance? Should I do yoga or pilates or both or neither? I cant do the birkram "hot" yoga thing for obvious reasons, so what else is there? I need a regimen...

My elbows and forearms are in top form obviously, as are my index and middle fingers as well as my opposing thumbs. Drink count is down, well, as of new years day anyway, and I am hopeful for the future! Will you keep ya posted!!

Bonne Annee friends!!!

No comments: