February 29, 2008

Funny Bullsheet

A witty dialogue between my friend George Michael (Gregoire) and I on the way to lunch today. Sometimes it goes like this:

"boool, booul, boooolsht, buuuuuuulsheet. " -GM

"Bullshit. Bullshit." -DM

"booolsheeeeeet. booolshheit. sheeeet" -GM

"almost..." -DM

"Its like when one person, he say to other person, 'what are you saying is wrong'." -GM

"Yes. exactement. this is bullshit." -DM

"Deeahhne, you are full of bullshheeeet." -GM

"Oui. I know. I never said I wasnt. Its one of the best things about me."-DM

"Ah Yes. Ok. I think I know this... I am so tie red today." -GM

"tie red?" (thinking thinking thinking....) "oh Tired!!! yes me too." -DM

"what do you say Teeered? Terrrrred?" -GM

"Tie urd. Tired." -DM

One of the most common language barriers I have found so far is the differentiation in sound of the I. Here, the I is always pronounced ee. Not sometimes this or that, like it is in the English language. For example, Chinese is pronouned Sheenwah and written chinoise or chinois.
So essentially now that I think about it, you could take this same rule and apply it the same way the chinoise mix the L and R sounds. Rike Lock and Loll for example. Anyway...

Our language barriers are so funny sometimes that, more often than not, it becomes the actual getting from point A to point B that is the interesting and fun part. Its actually getting to what the point may be. Its the journey, not the destination, if you will.

So I myself am a big fan of games; Board games, crosswords, word problems etc... so today was no different. It was just like playing a game. It took George Michael and I almost 20 minutes today to get to the point. Heres just a clip... Imagine (pron: Ee mah jee nay)

"Deeahhne, what is it when it rains, or like in the country and there's water? And maybe there is a mountain... when its wet?" -GM

Now mind you, I have NO idea what he is about to get at. We are just walking along, casual conversation. But with the French, you never know; Could be Sarkozy, could be the Next Big Thing in Tech, could be some Russian water polo player in the Olympics... I mean you just really never know what they're gonna want to talk about.

So we continue through the exercise...

"Dew? Mist? Is it a movie? Brokeback Mountain? Greggy, I have no idea..." -DM

"No its like it gets on your shoes. You know you have to wipe them after... and maybe you are walking on a hill or something." -GM

"You mean Sheeeet? Like a cow or something? You step in sheet? or Mud?" -DM

"Oui! Yes Mud! I like mud wrestling!" -GM

"Really? You just get the XXX channel at home or...?" -DM

"Oh I dont know. No. I have lots of DVDs! But I just want you to know that I like this." -GM

And thats that.

And because of this lunch today, with the Panda and Georgey, I remembered something very important. Its the little things in life that make me most happy. Today was absolutely hysterical the whole way through and I feel so good because of it.

Now to My point-if I were to be asked what the best moment of my life was, my answer would be simple. Maybe it would be in a haiku or in a long drawn out story about me and 2 frenchmen, or me and a nun walking into a bar, but still, Id get to the point and it would go something like this. It would be "any moment I was laughing."

1 comment:

Amy Shannon said...

Its funny one of the best memories I have of you is how much you loved board games. Sorry and Monopoly come to mind. I also remember that when we played
Monopoly you would yell "bank robbery" and count down how much time we have to raid the fake money that came with the game. HA!